nuffnang code

Sunday, June 24, 2012

My 3 Favorite Travel Brushes

If I could only bring 3 brushes with me on a trip, or to work, it would be these three from Marrionaud- the N35 (flat eyeshadow brush), N37 (eyeshadow crease/pencil brush), and N38 (double-ended angled brush and mascara brush).

You might be wondering why I need 3 eye brushes and nothing for the face/cheeks. Personally, when I don't have the luxury of time/baggage allowance, I prefer to use my fingers for foundation/blush application for liquid/cream/mousse formulations; or I bring along powders which come with their own sponges and brushes already so there won't be any need to lug around an entire set.

 I don't like doing my eyes with my fingers only- my nails are long and there have been a couple of times when I poked my eye while attempting to apply makeup.





Use it to: Apply your base eyeshadow/lid color. Can even work with cream shadows
Tightly packed bristles, but not scratchy
Doesn't shed or bleed when washed
Php 70



Use it to: Apply crease color, contour eyes, smoke out lashline
Very soft and not scratchy
Doesn't bleed or shed when washed
Php 90



Use it to: Apply liquid, gel or powder eyeliner; fill in or shape brows
Tightly packed yet soft and not scratchy
Doesn't shed or bleed when washed


This is the other tip of the double ended brush, the mascara spoolie

Use it to: Separate clumpy lashes post-mascara application; groom eyebrows
This is very soft too! Not hard and stiff at all like some spoolies
Php 60

Great brushes at rock bottom prices. They're soft, handy, and multi-purpose. Sounds too good to be true? There must be a catch, right? Well, there actually is- these brushes aren't built to last forever, especially if you don't take proper care of them. Improper washing and drying (as I've experienced) can lead to:
  • Loosening of the handle from the ferrule (the metal part of the brush)- this happens when water gets inside and loosens up the glue holding it together
  • The brushes losing their original shape- due to improper cleaning
So here's what I currently do to avoid ruining them:
  • Wash with mild baby shampoo, swirl around on my palm until water clears out
  • Make sure to rinse out all shampoo/soap residue
  • Get a glass, put a few pieces of tissue at the bottom, and place the brushes inside the tissue, with the bristles facing down
  • Don't dry them standing up (bristles facing up) as this will cause water to get inside the ferrule
  • Don't use until completely dry
  • Change tissue if it gets super soaked
You'll like these if:
  • You're on a budget
  • You like to travel light
  • You can't live without eye makeup brushes even when you're on a trip
  • You don't mind that it's made of synthetic fibers

You won't like these if:
You're extremely picky with the quality of your brushes

Where to Get?
Watsons

Have you tried any one of these or any Marionnaud brushes? How did you like them? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment