One of the trends in beauty and skin care today is going organic. A quick survey of the options now available to us show an increase in products that stamped with the words "green", "paraben and preservative-free", "organic", or "all-natural". This is a good thing of course, as doctors and researchers are currently studying the effects of long-time exposure to parabens (a very common ingredient in bath and beauty products which is suspected to be cancer-causing) on our health.
I was looking for a night-time moisturizer replacement (my Olay night cream, after 5 months of use, made my skin oily and my pores larger) and I came across this Iloilo-based online store, Love Thouskin HerShop, which carries organic brands Only Skin and Barenaturals.
She sells a variety of oils and serums but I went for the Moroccan Argan oil because a lot of celebs have been raving about it lately and I wanted to see if it really lived up to the hype.
Argan oil, which is sourced form Morocco, is also known as liquid gold. It's a rare oil made from the nuts of the Argan tree, which grows only in- you guessed, it- Morocco. It contains a lot of stuff that's good for your skin, such as vitamin E, fatty acids, squalene, and phytosterols. So all that goodness makes argan oil quite the multi-tasker, and some of its uses include:
for the Face
- Moisturizes dry, dull skin
- Regulates oily skin
- Maintains skin elasticity, prevents stretchmarks, reduces appearance of scars
- Softens skin and reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduces skin redness and irritation
- Moisturizes and nourishes hair
- Prevents breakage
- Prevents frizz
Hands and Nails
- Softens skin and cuticles
- Strengthens brittle nails
- Great for the skin in general
- Can also be used as a (pricey, haha) massage oil to relieve rheumatism and arthritis pains
So I ordered it, got it the next day, and I've road tested it for a full month, so that I can more or less get a feel of what it has to offer. So what did I like about it?
- It does a great job of keeping my face moisturized
- My pores didn't look as large as they did when I was using heavy creams
- 90% of my blackheads cleared up
- My face looked a lot smoother, cleaner and brighter
- For day, I use 1 drop of oil mixed with my BB cream. I love that it doesn't make my face oily
- I didn't get any break outs
- I also tried using it on my hair, it became really soft and shiny. It doesn't weigh hair down
- Great remedy for dry hands as well
- It's an unscented, lightweight oil
- Doesn't leave an oily film/residue on skin and it absorbs quickly
What I Don't Like:
How To Use:
A drop of oil goes a long way, no need to slather on a lot to get the desired effects. Work 2-3 drops of oil onto face, hair, or hands. You can also mix in a bit of oil into your favorite beauty products (face cream, lotions, conditioners)
P.S. When buying, make sure it says 100% Moroccan argan oil. Make sure it's cosmetic grade and not culinary grade (for cooking). Look for ones placed in dark-colored packaging, as this protects the oil from sun damage.
Where to Get:
I got my Bare Naturals Moroccan argan oil 100 ml (Php 800) from Love Thouskin Hershop, which is great if you're from Iloilo since you'll be able to save on the shipping costs. You might also want to check out the Bare Naturals site.
Have you tried argan oil before? How did you like it? Drop me a line! :)